Riley High School is the "Pride of the South Side." It was named after the Hoosier Poet, James Whitcomb Riley.
The original Riley High School was built in 1924 and located at 405 East Ewing Avenue, currently this is the location of the school's tennis courts. A new school was constructed and opened for the start of the 1999-2000 school year.
Riley is home to the Technology and Engineering Magnet Program. The engineering magnet is nationally certified as an Innovation High School through Project Lead the Way (PLTW). PLTW is the leading provider of rigorous and innovative Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) curricular programs in the United Stated. Riley's PLTW certification allows students to earn up to 13 college credits and multiple scholarship opportunities only awarded to PLTW graduates.
The New Tech magnet program engages students through innovative instruction and projects that tackle the issues of today’s world while providing a smaller learning community that allows students to connect with others and thrive as individuals. Riley’s New Tech magnet program has a curricular focus on sustainable energy. New courses will infuse themes such as natural resources, sustainable agriculture, food systems, renewable energy, climate change, ecology, environmental engineering, economics, healthy living, and public advocacy.